A 15 hour primer for core mathematical concepts for non – science students
Why is this course important?
- Pre-requisite for any job in Finance, Sciences, or Engineering and for any masters level course in India or abroad.
- Learn Core concepts that will help you deal with data and improve decision making.
- Fundamental understanding of these concepts will help you sharpen your analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Graphing Functions, Limits and Continuity
- Differentiation and Integration
Dates – 19th – 23rd, June 2020 (Everyday) 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM (with break).
Price – INR 1,650 + 18% GST
Faculty – Shailesh Goregaokar (Double Masters, Math & Computer Science – IIT Bombay), 3 decades of global industry experience.
As a part of the corporate world, he had organized and taught in technical training programs. He is also part of visiting faculty at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai where he has taught cross-faculty courses in Mathematics for the Economics, Life Science, and Microbiology Departments. His style of teaching is to drill-in concepts in an intuitive way making use of thought-provoking puzzles, examples, and class participation. His class sessions build students’ aptitude in the subject while being thoroughly enjoyable.
Which students will this course benefit?
- Those in their first, second, third year of graduation from disciplines like commerce, arts and management.
- Those looking at pursuing Masters courses in India or abroad (Especially finance, analytics, economics or STEM fields).
- Those applying to jobs in banks, consulting firms, analytics companies or research outfits.
Detailed Lecture Plan
Session 1 (Graphing Simple Functions) – 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- Learn to graph linear, quadratic, exponential, log functions.
- Solve simple equations graphically
Session 2 (Asymptotes, Limits and Continuity) – 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Concepts of vertical, horizontal and slant asymptotes introduced
- How to find limiting values of functions
- Concept of continuity
- Tutorial 1
Session 1 (Derivative – The Concept) – 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- Learn the basic idea behind derivatives – as an instantaneous rate of change
- Simple rules to find certain derivatives
Session 2 (Derivatives – More Rules and Problems) – 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Product, Quotient and Chain Rule
- Tutorial 2
Session 1 (Increasing, Decreasing Functions, Extreme Values) – 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- How to detect the nature of functions using derivatives – the concept of minima, maxima and inflection points
- Solve a few examples
Session 2 (Derivatives – More Practice) – 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Problems on Application of Derivatives
- Tutorial 3
Session 1 (Integration and Anti-Derivatives) – 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- Concept of integral as an area under the curve
- Relation Between Anti-Derivatives and Integral (FTC)
Session 2 (Integration – Techniques) – 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Substitution, Parts, Partial Fractions – Lots of solved examples.
- Tutorial 4
Session 1 (Definite Integral and some applications) – 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- Area under the curve, concept of finding volumes.
- Producer-consumer surplus
- Tutorial 5
Session 2 (Integration Practice and Differential Equations Concept) – 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM
- Tutorial 6
- Concept of differential equations – forming one, solving one – with examples.
- Discuss applications in various fields.
Registrations for this certificate program are now closed. Thank you for your interest. By registering in the form below, you will jump the queue for our second intake for this program which will begin shortly. We will also be posting a few lecture take-aways, reading materials and other interesting content from this course. Follow us on our social media platforms (Facebook & Instagram) and our website to know more.